Thursday, March 22, 2012

Homemade Baby Food

To keep cost down and not be overrun by little glass jars, we made our own baby food.

I would mostly do squash (acorn and butternut), sweet potato, carrots, peaches, apricots (in season) whole wheat pasta, turkey and chicken.

I would bake the squash, and sweet potato in the oven.

I would steam the carrots, turkey and chicken (in our rice cooker).

I would boil whole wheat pasta. I microwaved the peaches.

Then blend with a little water (in blender or food processor) and pour into ice cube trays.

I would do them in big batches, but my husband was a great proponent for saving money so he would help a lot with the kids when I was busy. I probably would do it once a week or every two weeks depending on the size of the batch.

For more specifics (including a discussion on Nitrates) see
http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/stage1_homemade_baby_food_recipes.htm

We also LOVED using the Boon Squirts. http://www.booninc.com/products/Squirt
They were very handy when we fed the babies away from home. They were also helpful when you had to try to hold a wiggling baby and feed them at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment